Recommendations from other landlords
- Choose 3 agents in the local area and visit them all in person
- Check their organisation skills – ask them to do three things. These can be quite small as posting terms & conditions, e-mailing you their contact details and confirming their tenancy deposit scheme. Check that they do this, if they don’t they haven’t noted your request or just haven’t done it – either way this displays poor organisation.
- Don’t take them at face value – many people can talk a good game but don’t deliver.
- They should be up to date with Lettings Legislation.
- Your Agent should have Client Money Protection Insurance for should their business fail you will be an unsecured creditor and liable for losses such as Tenants Deposits not lawfully being held / protected.